Monday, July 29, 2013

Miracles in Oton!

Dear Family,
 
How are all of you? I hope you have all had a great week! On Saturday the other Oton sisters had 2 baptisms! That was the first baptism I have been able to see here! Yay! And then on Sunday there were 3 confirmations! Yay! I don't think I have mentioned Brother Arnold before, so he was baptized the weekend before I arrived here, and he has had a ton of reasons to not come to church/he has been late every since (because of work or he didn't feel well or bad weather or whatever), but finally he came to church and he came on time and he was confirmed on Sunday. Then in Sunday School we watched The Restoration video, and a hard-hearted investigator named Fred just bashed on Joseph Smith and was saying how he believes the Catholic church is the true church and such....(and yet he keeps coming back to our branch, hmmm). It was a tough hour or so, but the teacher and a few of the other Sisters just testified about the truth of the Restoration and how important it is to find the truth by praying with real intent. Anyway, last night we visited Arnold and he told us that he really wanted to speak up and say that he knows Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, but he was too nervous (Fred really wouldn't let anyone get a word in edgewise). But, ah! Arnold really has such a strong testimony. So this weekend was stellar because that all means that we have 3 potential Melchizidek priesthood holders in Oton Branch!!! Woohoo!
 
Food...The RS President cooked for us and it was delicious! Also, people made us mango shakes twice this week! yum! I tried squid this week, it was not too nasty, not my favorite, mostly it was just tough to chew. You all should find a recipe for the dessert Mango Float--super delicious and simple to make. They use sweetened condensed milk in like every dessert they make. Pancit Molo is also very delicious... We eat at a place called Mang Inasal every week after district meeting, pretty tasty. And another dessert, halo-halo, is probably the most random thing I have ever seen, but it is tasty.
 
I am short on time, but mostly I just want to share that it is so important to choose to be happy and focus on the positive. Happiness is a choice. It really is. Yeah, bad things happen all the time to all of us and life is really hard, but I have just decided to be happy and have a positive outlook every day (even when I am tired and people don't keep their commitments or we have to wait for a jeepney or the ants attack my sandwich), and I am happy! I am happy because I know the gospel is true and I can see it help people every day. I am happy because I choose to be. Just roll with the punches with a smile on your face and trust that God is in control.
 
I have almost made it through 1 transfer! Yay! (also I am currently the youngest sister in the mission...at least until wednesday). I love you all!!! Halong!
 
Love, Sister Winward

No comments:

Post a Comment