Monday, February 3, 2014

Tunga!


Dear Family, 

How are all of you? I am doing well. This email is called "tunga" because that means half or between. It is utterly terrifying that this is my halfway in the mission week. Seriously. I miss you all and stuff, but I'm pretty sure I never want my mission to end. EVER. You can all just move here if you want to see me again. ;) joke-lang. 

Last Wednesday, we did exchanges, Sister Daroy came and worked with me. She is fairly new, Sister Rappleye is training her. We had a good day and it was fun to get to know her more. She's from Pangasinan, PH, nearby where Sister Mendez is from. 

Last Monday, right after I emailed, Sister Marchant and I had an interesting grocery shopping experience. So, we're going through the supermart as usual, and this dirty little kid comes up out of no where and starts pushing our cart around for us. At first it was weird, but he was persistent, so we just let him help us around the store. His name is Carjun and he is 10 years old. I'm sure it looked bad, a poor little Filipino kid being the shopping assistant of two 'rich' 'kana. But we just went with it. We bought him some apples and biscuits. It was just one of those moments when reality hit me (for the umpteenth time) about how poor a lot of the people are here. As we got onto the jeepney with our bags of groceries, we saw him quickly eating the biscuits. I'm pretty sure he was starving. I just wanted to take him home and give him a bath and a safe place to rest. Sometimes I forget to be grateful for the smallest things. Like a clean glass of water or a bit of food. Or a soft pillow. Or screens on the windows. 

This morning (and last Monday too) we went for an early morning jog. Not just anything would get us out of bed at that dark hour to go for a jog. Brother and Sister Flores prepared us breakfast. YUM! And we had the chance to get to know some of the YSAs better too. We had curry last week (Yes, for breakfast). Rice is a breakfast, lunch, and dinner thing around here. We had spaghetti and squash soup this morning. They are such generous people. I'm glad I get to meet Brother Flores, because he is at sea most months out of the year. 

We found out this week that Cheryan has been studying with the Baptists for 3 years and she is planning on being baptized Baptist next month. Um, how about, NO? She is still doing well reading and praying for the truth, so we will continue to guide her to it. I don't know if I mentioned her 12 year old neighbor, Angela in my email last week. Angela also went to church with Cheryan, and she is making good progress too. She has been studying with the baptists too, but she asked her parents if she can be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-Day Saints, and we got to meet with them and teach them for the first time on Sunday. It was good, they are receptive. I am excited for Angela and her family. :) 

This week was a little challenging, but I find that it is refining me and humbling me to have to rely on my Savior more. This is truly His work, and He will not let us fail. I am so grateful for that knowlege. And for a knowledge of the fullness gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it is true! I love to study it and live it and share it with others. Being a representative of Jesus Christ is the BEST. 

I love you all! Have an amazing week!

Love, Sister Winward

Sister Cassie Winward
Philippines Iloilo Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment